First-Ever HMS Variety Show Was a Success!

Deborah Lee, Staff Writer

On the evening of April 14, 2023, Hammonton Middle School’s first ever Variety Show took place, consisting of dancers, singers, jokes, and a rock band! All performers and participants tried their hardest to make the show the best it could be, and many individuals who went to see it would agree that it was a great show!

The Variety Show contained fifteen unique performances that highlighted each member of the group’s talents. Many of the first acts were musical numbers, including singers and guitarists.

Sixth grade teacher, Mr. Gollihur, and all students in the Variety Show showcased their performance with a group opening number!

Next, Cara Langley proudly sang to the crowd, “This is Me” from The Greatest Showman.  One student, Max Bonnan, performed “JAR” by Green Day on his guitar, along with his own vocals. Liliana Tower sang with grace, “Burning House” by Cam Landon and Calen used his bass guitar to play “Orion” by Metallica! Student Mario Booker presented a mostly comedical performance to the crowd using “Tequila” by The Champps– there was something for everyone to enjoy– even a dad joke performer! Ace Enders, second to last performer, shared a handful of dad jokes in a comedy skit.

Some students chose to work in groups with friends. For example, Giuliana Galli, Sophia Galli, and Elle Monaghan lip synced and danced to “Made You Look” by Megan Trainor while Kadin Drayton, Dominic Gibase, and Alfonso Gonzalez dueled in a lightsaber battle to the soundtrack, “Duel of Fates” by John Williams! Sixth graders, Julianne DeKlerk and Sammi Gauntt lip synced and danced to “Girls Just Want To Have Fun” by Cyndi Lauper. A self-formed rock band under the name, “Major Green Light” (JR Aloiso, Ace Enders, Deborah Lee) played “Longview” by Green Day!

In addition to groups of student acts, there were some acts with students AND teachers! One teacher even worked with their own child! Seventh grade teacher, Ms. Gauntt, and her daughter, Sammi Gauntt, performed a tap dance to “I Ain’t Worried” by OneRepublic! Seventh grade teacher, Ms. Christiana Vassallo, and seventh grader, Isabella Hiatt, presented a comedy skit to the audience.

Eighth grade teacher, Mrs. Zuccarello, brought the energy when she lip synced to the crowd, under the name “Top Secret Medley of Songs”.

To finish off the show, Christian Carson Alvarez and Mac Glezman demonstrated the iconic elephant toothpaste science experiment to the audience!

Each participant received awards from Dr. Rudnesky, the Hammonton Middle School principal, along with other sponsors since these students had the confidence to step up onto the stage! One thing’s for sure– the first annual Variety Show was a huge success, and many are looking forward to it next year!