Assessments: Are They Necessary?

Assessments: Are They Necessary?

Stefanie Waga, Staff Writer

One of the most outrageous things happened. The classroom was filled with negative energy. Scratchy coughs echoed throughout the room. By the end of it, everyone looked drained and fatigued.  It was one of the most bitter, cold-blooded ELA assessments ever.

Many people have different opinions on assessments. Some feel they are necessary, and others could believe otherwise. A seventh-grade student (V.F.) commented, “I think they are pointless and too time-consuming.”  However, seventh-grade student Ember Simmons replied, “They are necessary to track students’ progress, but the design is unfriendly and uncomfortable.”

Having multiple assessments a year can be time-consuming and brain-frying. Student D.L. spoke, “I wish they would change the way they worded questions. I just hate them in general.” During the beginning of the year, it can become unfair to students how they have tons of tests and quizzes when their year has just started. Many students face nervousness and stress during and before assessments because of this.

Though, maybe, they couldn’t be so bad after all. The results of students’ completion can allow them to compare their scores with other students across the state. Seventh-grade teacher Mr. Tower added, “The thing I like is that I get to see what weak spots I need to focus on teaching to my students.”

Overall, everyone has different opinions on assessments. They can have positive and negative effects. How do you feel about assessments?