HMS Press

The student news site of Hammonton Middle School

HMS Press

HMS Press

HMS’s 2023 Soccer Team

The Hammonton Middle School’s Soccer Season was a Great Success!
HMSs 2023 Soccer Team

The Hammonton boy’s soccer team has had many wins and a couple losses during this year’s season, this is a recap of what happened this season! According to Mr. Breuer this year’s season was a success. The head coach Mr. Breuer said, “Overall, the boys’ soccer season was a success. This season has been a major step up in the number of games played. Since Covid, transportation issues and referee shortages have made it tough to schedule games. This year, we played 14 times, which is among the most I’ve had in my time as head coach. We finished with a record of 9-5, only losing to 3 teams all season (Williamstown, Bridgeton x2, and Delsea x2).” This quote shows the appreciation the coach has for his team and how the soccer team did this year. 

In this season, some games stood out more than others such as the game against the Pleasantville team. Pleasantville beat Hammonton 6-0 last year, a devastating loss to our coaches. Though the two rematches ended up bringing us victory this season with close physical matches. Another win that stood out to the coaches would be the game against Buena. The win itself was not much of a surprise but this was the last home match of the season and their “8th grade night” celebration for the graduating athletes. The boys played very well in front of their largest crowd. 

Some losses tend to stand out more than others, let see what loss impacted the Hammonton Boy’s team the most. During the game against Bridgeton, the Hammonton team lost the game 1-0 on a tough free kick with just 2 minutes left to play. The boys’ put in immense effort and were awaiting an upcoming rematch. Hammonton eventually rematched with Bridgeton on Bridgeton’s field. Even though the effort of the boys was strong the game was matched. 

Some honorable mentions of some members of the team would include Evan Martinez and Mason Gehres. They were the two leaders of the team and played for all three of their eligible years. They are fantastic players and will be a great addition to the Hammonton High School soccer team. Justin Rodriguez led the team in scoring this season, with 10 goals this season. Colton Lowe and Giacomo Furgione were the team’s goalkeepers, and they alternated halves all season long. Austin Kemp, Luis Castro-Rivera, and Jacob Simpers played hard and excelled in their roles as defenders/midfielders in a way that always gave the team a chance to win. Kody Bagnell is a 7th grader who looks to be a key captain/leader next season.  Carter Lolio was the only 6th grader to make the team this season due to the huge turnout at tryouts from older players. He had a great season and we the team is looking forward to the next 2 years with him. 

All in all, the Hammonton Middle School boy’s soccer team was an overall success and everyone is looking forward to our next season. All the coaches are so proud of the players and are hoping for a great next season!