Farewell Interview with Dr. Nolan

Dr. Nolan was an exceptional principal at the Hammonton Middle School, but unfortunately, he had to leave for a job as superintendent at Waterford Elementary School. He made this school a better place while he was here, and was crucial in many positive changes here at HMS.  Before becoming principal, Dr.Nolan was a phenomenal teacher and as an administrator, he created many fun and intriguing activities for the students of this school– even through the years of COVID-19. We will always remember him, and in honor of the accomplishments he has achieved throughout the years, we dedicated time to creating this article as his farewell.     

HMS Press: How would you describe your experience at HMS?

Dr. Nolan: “I loved HMS, I was extremely lucky to be around fantastic teachers and fantastic students (and families).”

HMS Press: When did you start at Hammonton and what roles did you hold within the district?

Dr. Nolan: “I started in 2002 when the new HS opened.  I taught ELA 7th and 8th grade, then Assistant Principal (5 years) of the middle school and then principal (10.5 years).”

Dr. Nolan: “I’m proud of the changes we were able to make with extracurricular.  In my time we started all of the Academic Academies, track, volleyball, fall drama, and we brought back our spring musical.”

HMS PRESS: What improvements did you make to HMS that you’re most proud of?

Dr. Nolan: “I loved our student celebrations like “Top of the Middle” or People’s Choice.  In addition, one of my favorite memories was when one of our ESL kids learned God Bless America in one week and sang it beautifully at graduation – maybe in 2016. It was amazing.”

HMS Press: How do you feel about working at a different school after working at HMS for so long?

Dr. Nolan: “I’m enjoying the newness of this position.  I’ve found already that there are wonderful teachers, families, and students here in Waterford. Change is good.”