Bathroom Closures: What Happened?

Deborah Lee, Staff Writer

If you’ve been on TikTok for a while, you probably  know about the Devious Lick trend. Recently, the Devious Lick trend happened in the Hammonton Middle School. Let’s talk about it.

About 1 or 2 weeks into school after the summer, the announcements called off bathrooms during certain periods. This is because a student went into one of the bathrooms and performed the Devious Lick TikTok trend. For those who don’t have TikTok or do and don’t know of the trend, the Devious Lick trend encourages students to damage or steal school property. What will happen is they will go into a bathroom and steal or damage anything they can, whether that be actual toilets, mirrors, or smaller things like toilet paper and paper towels. Then, they will post it on TikTok with the hashtag #deviouslicks. No student, including me, truly knows who performed the trend, what they stole, and how they stole or damaged anything, but all we know is that the bathrooms are closed during certain periods of the day because of it.

At the end of the day, the Devious Lick trend happened at HMS and that’s the reason that the bathrooms are closed during certain periods. Most people hope this never happens again, and the administration is taking precautions to prevent that.