School Mask Mandate Lifted in New Jersey

Stefanie Waga, Staff Writer

All around New Jersey, many schools have been lifting their mask mandate.  In early February, Governor Phil Murphy announced that this upcoming March, New Jersey’s general face covering order would be lifted.

On February 8th, the Vice Chairman of the National Governors Association remarked, “This is not a declaration of victory as much as an acknowledgment that we can responsibly live with this thing,”  as they discussed the elimination of the mandate.

As the state finished the month of January, there have been reports with another 22 confirmed covid-19 deaths and 1,987 cases.  Leaving January with 2,380 confirmed deaths, being the most in a month since May 2020. In addition to this, February was left with a total of 46,241 confirmed cases.  Out of that number there were 29,947 deaths, however,  daily cases continue to fall.

There are many different opinions about the lifting of the mask mandate.  An 8th grader that asked to remain anonymous believes that it would cause some problems.  “During the holidays people weren’t wearing masks, which caused a lot of people to get sick.  Many had to go virtual, doing school from home.” 

Another 7th student that asked to remain anonymous stated that they knew that many people were sick of wearing masks.  “Some don’t even wear their masks right as it is, so I would have to say I have mixed feelings.”

Whether we keep wearing them or not, people must respect each other’s decisions.  How do you feel about lifting the masks?