Brainshow Bombshell

HMS students playing a round of The Brain Game.

Julia Sulzner, Staff Writer

Want your trivia tested? Then the Renaissance Rewards event was the place for you! This relaxing and fun way of presenting facts in entertainment was a huge hit and a round of applause for the Brainshow host and HMS for the great idea. This event was held in the HMS auditorium on the morning of February 12th for the eighth graders and the seventh and sixth graders met in the afternoon. Overall, the results from students would have teachers and principals smiling, saying that it was an exciting way to test your knowledge without getting too boring. This fastball of fact and fun was for students to loosen up, connect with friends, and get the students interacted with music and dancing.  If you were on stage, that was the day that students went footloose!

What exactly was the event? Here’s an overview: when students were called down to the auditorium, music to get you grooving to the beat was blaring through speakers and the stage was set up like a game-show between Jeopardy and Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader?. There were three podiums, each with a buzzer on top with a microphone. Once everyone was seated, the Brainshow host introduced himself and then went down to business. The game would start as the host would hand out 15 cards to random students in the audience, each with numbers 1-3. Whether the students were jocks or brainiacs, the 15 students given the cards would walk courageously up to the stage and go to the numbered podium that is the same on the card. The colorful podiums each had five people, and as a team they would have to work together to compete against the other teams. When given a question and the team thinks they know the answer, they would slam the buzzer and state the answer in the microphone. If the answer was correct, there was a catch. Music that played through the speakers, like “Shake it Off”, “On Top of the World”, “Brave”, and “Wake Me Up” came with a certain dance move. In order to get the points for the correct answer, the team would have to do the dance move correctly. If the answer was incorrect, no points were given and the other teams had a shot at answering correctly. Overall, the subject questions were very diverse- from pop music, to geography, to the renaissance. At the end of the game, the team with the most points received a magnet award and a new bunch of students popped onto the stage. In conclusion, this brainshow bombshell was a pure explosion of laughter, hooting and hollering!